Sunday, October 12, 2014

Does This Count?

For a few years now, I have had this goal:  To run a half marathon by second year of college, but to train like I am going to run one for my first year and if I can, do it.


Friday afternoon my mom picked me up from college.  We drove all the way up to my grandparents.  We stopped a couple times, once at the outlet mall.  As my mom was checking out in one store she just happened to ask if there was anywhere you could get a treat around there, such as a caramel apple.  My mom thought the answer was going to be no, but the cashier said yes, a new candy store just opened right down around the corner.  Another shopper said that she was just in there and said they had some caramel apples that looked amazing.

So, we went down to this candy store.  We looked around a bit.  I was eyeing this caramel apple, and when the lady was telling me the different kinds of caramel apples and said that is one was turtle, I knew it was for me.  It was DELICIOUS!


When we got up to my grandparents, my grandma hopped into our car.  First we stopped at a cute antique store that my mom had seen the last time she was up there and then we made our usual stops at Trader Joe's and Costco.  

We spend the night we my grandparents (Hi Grandma & Grandpa!).  It was great to see them!

The next morning my mom and I got up bright and early.  I am now in college, so I tried my first half marathon.  This last summer when my mom and I had gotten together with some friends from our old neighborhood, a few of us decided that we should do a half marathon together this fall.  We signed up for the Gear Western Half Marathon. 


I hadn't trained at all for this half.  All summer I had been running 6 miles most days.  Towards the end, I ran a couple 8 milers.  And, then I went to college.  All of a sudden couldn't run 3 miles.  Something on me hurt, it was hot, I didn't know where I should run... I am sure there were a lot of factors that explained why I was not able to run very well. 

For a while, I really didn't do too much exercise.  I did do some, but not what I am used to.  A couple weeks ago, I started getting up and going to the gym right when they open in the morning.  I have just been doing the elliptical and weights.


I didn't know how this half marathon that I signed up for was going to go.  My mom didn't know if we should even do it (She was signed up too, but hadn't been training.  She thought she would just walk it, which she knew she could just do.)  But, I still really wanted to do it.  I just didn't know if I would just walk the whole thing, walk and run, or try to run it all.

Then, last weekend I did a 10k.  It went better than I thought it would go.  I gave me confidence that maybe I could actually do this half marathon.  I kept getting up and going to the gym.


And, sooner than later, the day of the half marathon came.  We met up with one of my old pre-school friend and her parents.  She and her mom had been training to do the half marathon.  My mom decided not to do it... it would have taken her too long.

On October 11, 2014, I somehow ran my first half marathon.  My time was 1 hour, 43 minutes, and 26 seconds.  It felt really good.  There were a couple miles that went by really slow, but all together, it went by really fast.  The route was BEAUTIFUL.  The leaves were all colorful, we ran by a lake, on a gravel trail, and all over the place.  It was a perfect day for a half marathon.

Betsy and I both won a prize.  I got first in our age group and she got second, so our trophies were old record albums.

Afterwards, my mom and I went out for lunch with Betsy and her parents to Panera Bread.

The half marathon was completely worth doing.  It was great to see my grandparents and an old pre-school friend, it was a beautiful day for a half marathon, and the half marathon itself so much fun.  Now I want to do another one!

I just don't know if this should count towards my goal though.  I successfully ran a half marathon.  But, half of doing a half marathon is training for it, which I didn't do.  So, I probably could have done a lot better.  What do you think?  Should this count towards my goal or not?


1 comment :

  1. Yes it counts! You did it and you ran the entire race. Now you have an official time to work with and improve from. WAY TO GO! Love, MOM



    ReplyDelete