Wednesday, May 10, 2017

I'm Back | Recipe for Asian Quinoa Salad


I know, I haven't blogged in forever!  Basically this whole school year (my junior year of college) went by and I haven't blogged.  I've wanted to, and I've missed blogging, but I just haven't gotten to it.  There have been some recipes that I've wanted to blog, but I usually don't end up liking the pictures I take, and I just haven't had time to blog a bunch.  It's fun to be able to look back at recipes I've made, holidays & celebrations with family, craft projects, and all else that I've blogged.  I do wish I had pictures of this past year's holidays.

Now that school is over, I do hope to do some blogging this summer - some recipes, an exciting trip I'm going on, and maybe some crafts or something!!

Not much as happened over the past months - school has been a lot of work, I am still working as a dietary aide, and I have been involved in CRU.  Living in an apartment has been fun - I have enjoyed getting to cook and bake, and getting to eat homemade food.  I HAVE become a COFFEE DRINKER this last year!  One of my roommates got me hooked on it, and it is SO GOOD.  Just straight up black.


I decided to start the summer of with making this Asian quinoa salad.  It is so good, and is perfect for summer.  It can be eaten warm or cold, and goes great with grilled chicken.  The original recipe calls for 1/3 cup each of the bell peppers, but I think I would do a little more.

Asian Quinoa Salad
From:  The Farm Chicks Cookbook

1 small piece of ginger (about 1 1/4 inches)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups quinoa
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
4 tsp. peanut butter
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup sliced green onions
Peanuts, for serving (optional)

Cook the Quinoa:  Peel the ginger and grate enough to equal 1 teaspoon; set aside.  Place the remaining whole piece of ginger in a medium saucepan.  Add the broth and quinoa, and cook according to the quinoa package directions.  Discard the ginger and transfer the quinoa to a medium-sized salad bowl; set aside to cool.

Make the Dressing and Salad:  Meanwhile, whisk together the vegetable oil, vinegar, peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic, and reserved grated ginger in a small bowl until combined.  Add the peppers and green onions to the quinoa in the salad bowl; pour the dressing over the top and toss to thoroughly combine.  Sprinkle top with peanuts.

1 comment :

  1. Looks delicious! Glad you are blogging! chris

    ReplyDelete