Friday, December 20, 2013

White Mice


I have seen many different names for these cookies:  Snowballs, Pecan Sandras, Powdered Sugar Dainties, Pecan Shorts.  But, my Grandma calls them White Mice, so that is what I am going to call them.  I have never really had one of these cookies before, until just a week or so ago when I made them.  My Grandma has always made these around Christmas, but I have never had one.  Well, I decided to give them a try.  THEY ARE SO GOOD!  I made them a week or so ago and then again last night.  I thought they would make a great little Christmas treat for friends.

But, I also decided to test to see which is the best temperature to bake them at.  My Grandma's recipe says to bake them at a low temperature for about 40 minuets.  I tried them at 275, 300, 325, and  350.  I for sure liked the 350 ones least.  They were done on the outside but still a little doughy on the inside.  The 275, 300, and 325 were all about the same.

I called my Grandma to see what temperature she actually bakes them at.  She said 300 or 325.  Different ovens bake differently.  She said that as long as they are done.

White Mice

1 cup butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar + extra for rolling
2 cups flour
1 t. water
1 t. vanilla
1 cup pecans, chopped

Mix ingredients together.
Form into balls, maybe a little smaller then a walnut.
Bake at 300 degrees for about 30 min.
When cooled shake/roll in powdered sugar.

Some recipes say to roll them in powdered sugar while they are still warm.  I think waiting till the cookies have cooled is better.  Otherwise the powdered sugar starts to melt on the cookies and becomes more gummy.  They still taste fine, but they aren't as pretty.

Enjoy!  They are kind of addicting:)


 I packaged them up and made some little tags for them to give to my friends for a little Christmas treat.




No comments :

Post a Comment