Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

At Iowa State, we don't get a fall break, so we get a full week off for Thanksgiving.  And, it is actually really nice!
This week I have been doing lots of baking and cooking, relaxing, and hanging out at home.  I have had some homework to do, including a research paper, and I am making it take the entire week to do.



The day before Thanksgiving I made a very large batch of lefsa.  I learned how to make lefsa a couple years ago from my grandma for a 4-H project.  I have now made it a tradition to make lefsa each year for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I will make one big batch and then freeze it in smaller portions.
I think the batch I made this year was the best it has ever turned out for me.  I think the trick is to make sure the surface that you are rolling the lefsa out on is well floured.  I also found that rolling the lefsa out in just an outward motion helps, not to go back-and-forth, and to flip the lefsa over a couple times when rolling it.


For Thanksgiving, we went to my uncle George's, my dad's brother, in Cedar Rapids.  I, of course, brought some lefsa, I made a pumpkin pie (I should have made two), and a pan of apple bars.




We had a relaxing afternoon playing games with my cousin and her husband.


P.S.  I will be back with a few Christmas cookie recipes!

No comments :

Post a Comment