Monday, December 8, 2014

Grandma's Spritz Cookies


Spritz have been a cookie that I have liked to make for a while now.  They are simple, delicious, butter cookie that I are somewhat Norwegian.

The first time I had these, or the first time I remember having these, was in fifth grade.  My family and I were visiting my grandparents out in Virginia for Christmas.  I discovered that my grandma had made these spritz.  They were so good - I ate a ton!


This is the spritz cookie press that I use.  It is the really old kind and I like it.  I have tried the newer versions that make the cookies into Christmas trees and such, but I prefer this one.

Sometimes people like to add food coloring to the dough and add sprinkles, but I like to just keep these cookies plain.


When I was younger, I remember my friends and I used to like to make these into fun shapes.


This is my grandma's recipe.
My grandma always makes spritz in an 's' shape.  I guess the name of the cookie starts with 's' and my grandma's name starts with 's', so it works.
I usually make these into little circles, or an 's' shape like what my grandma does.



Spritz Cookies

1 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. almond extract

Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add egg and almond extract.  Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Fill the cookie press and use the star shape, press, and make cookies in little circles or 's' shape.  Bake on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 8 to 12 minutes.


No comments :

Post a Comment