Wednesday, July 15, 2015

This Year's Garden + Flowers












Two years ago, we had an overly successful garden.  Last year, it was a complete failure - we got a total of like three tomatoes when we had several plants.  We wanted to do a garden this year again, and to not let it go.  First, we were thinking we would do vegetables for salsa, corn, pumpkins, and flowers.  But, as it got closer to the time we were to get planting our garden (we always plant on the later side of the season), Mom and I slowly dropped plants on the list of things to grow - corn, then pumpkins.  I really just wanted the makings for salsa, but my Dad really wanted corn, so we ended up doing a few rows of corn.
We down-sized our garden a lot.  Currently most of it is knee-high in weeds, except for the little area that I have planted.  I am trying hard to keep the area with my tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers, onion, and flowers maintained.  But, I am having a hard time with even that (work it keeping me busy and when I come home at night, I really don't feel like going out to pull weeds).  So, if I can keep right around the plants weeded, I am happy. The corn, and the one pumpkin plant we ended up planting are my last priority.  I did plant some flowers in the garden for fun.  Some came up, but a few rows never grew. 
About a quarter of our garden area is where are strawberries, rhubarb, and asparagus are.  For a little while, I had them nicely weeded, but the weeds grow like crazy.  Another area of the garden area has a huge pile of sticks.  I really wanted to have my little salsa + corn garden area cleaned up for taking pictures to share here, but that wasn't happening fast enough, so I went ahead and took pictures.
Last year my mom planted some giant sunflowers in the garden.  The sun flowers you see this year replanted themselves this year and we just let them do their thing.


We have so many beautiful flowers growing around our front patio, and the rest of the yard.  The are just gorgeous!

















My mom's cousin made my mom the trellis leaning against the barn.  Mom has gotten flowers to start growing up it.










Now, out to the back patio...





















No comments :

Post a Comment