Saturday, July 25, 2015

Torborg's Treasured Recipes | Curried Chicken Salad


It has been mighty hot and humid lately.  Sandwiches are a great go-to, quick and easy meal that don't heat up the house to make.  I love sandwiches, but I hope I don't get sick of them from eating them for many lunches and suppers!  Luckily, there are so many combinations that can be done - so much fun.  Chicken salad is great because it can be made ahead of time and so delicious.


This is another recipe that comes from my great, great aunt Torborg.  She says to serve it just as it is, topped with cashews and mango, or as a pasta salad.   I though decided to take after one of the deli sandwiches from my favorite cafe in Ames.  They have a curried chicken salad sandwich similar to this, which is served on raisin walnut bread with lettuce and tomatoes.  Yum!


I used a mango ginger chutney from Trader Joe's.









(If you notice that the sandwiches look a little different, it is because I was making a couple sandwiches and I mixed the photos up some.)


I made some slight changes to the recipe.  I typed the original recipe as it is and then added the changes I made in the parentheses.  I don't usually bullet point my recipes, but I did for this one.  With all my notes, it looked really messy and was hard to read.


I hope you enjoy this one.  It is a fun sandwich for summer!

Curried Chicken Salad

  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless, grilled chicken breast, chopped into into 1/2" pieces, or deboned, chopped rotisserie chicken (I used probably about 3 cups shredded, rotisserie chicken)
  • 4 stalks chopped celery, about 1 cup (I used 3 stalks)
  • 1 medium, diced, red onion, about 1 cup (I used about 1/2 of a yellow onion because I didn't have any red onion on hand)
  • 6 ounces seedless, halved, red grape, about 1 cup (I didn't add these because the bread I was serving the salad on had raisins in it)
  • Optional:  1 green, diced apple, about 1 cup (I didn't add the apple, but I think it would be good)

Whisk together the following ingredients to make the dressing:

  • 1 - 5 ounce container Greek yogurt, plain or vanilla (I used plain)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing (I used another 1/4 cup mayonnaise instead)
  • 5 tsp. curry powder, preferably the hot/spicy Madras type (I used only about 3 tsp. of I think not-so spicy curry powder because 5 tsp. sounded like too much.  But, I think I could have added more.)
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, can also zest the lime before juicing (I didn't add any lime zest)
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 3 Tbsp. mango chutney (I used a mango ginger chutney from Trader Joe's)
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger (I did a scant 1 tsp. since the mango chutney had some ginger in it)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper


Pour the dressing over the chicken, celery, onion, grapes, and apple.  Stir gently to combine, and serve at room temperature (I think it would be just as good served cold).  This is better the next day after the flavors have blended.  Garnish with 1/2 cup salted, roasted cashews, and if available, 1 fresh mango.
Easily doubled; serves 8 or more.  To extend further, double the amount of dressing and add "bow tie" pasta.

*I served the salad on raisin walnut bread with lettuce and tomato slices.  I didn't garnish with any cashews or mango.

No comments :

Post a Comment