Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Torborg's Treasured Recipes | Mustard-Roasted Salmon with Lingonberry Sauce



I have been privileged to receive a copy of a cookbook of Torborg's Treasured Recipes.  Torborg is my grandpa's mom's sister - making her my great great aunt.  She is currently 99 years old and immigrated to the U.S. years ago from Norway.  It has been several years since I have met her, and I don't really remember it.  Though, I hear she is a great cook!

Her daughter Katherine, my grandpa's cousin, has recently put together a little cookbook of her mom's treasured recipes.  As I try out these recipes, I hope to share them with you.  This mustard-roasted salmon with lingonberry sauce is my first one.  I thought it was delicious!  Torborg suggests to serve the salmon with parslied new potatoes or riced potatoes.  I made some roasted baby potatoes seasoned with parsley.

I learned my lessen.  Next time I need to use a bigger pan... it was a bit tricky toss them around.
I would suggest to start making the potatoes first because potatoes take longer to cook.  For the potatoes, I melted some butter and olive oil (about 4 T. total) together in a saucepan.  I added 2 pounds of baby red potatoes (scrubbed clean and cut in half or quarters if they were big) and tossed them in the butter/oil mixture.  Then I spread the potatoes onto a sheet pan and sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and some dried parsley.  I baked them along with the salmon in the 450 degree oven.



 Now, for the salmon.  This recipe can easily be scaled to the number of people to be served.  I am pretty sure I used almost 2 pounds of salmon and I double the recipe below.


 I used my favorite mustard that I got in Paris last summer!



While the salmon is baking, make the lingonberry sauce.


I got lingonberry jam from Ikea, but I am sure you could get it in most grocery stores.  Torborg says that the sauce is best with Tyttebaer - but Lingonberry is a close substitute.  (I googled tyttebaer and I think tyttebaer is just lingonberry in Norwegian.)  Huckleberry preserves or cranberry sauce could also be substituted.



I forgot to get shallots, so I just used some diced yellow onions.


I broke out my mom's Norwegian dishes for the night.



Mustard-Roasted Salmon with Lingonberry Sauce

2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. butter, melted and divided
2 salmon fillets (approximately 4 - 6 ounces each)

2 Tbsp. chopped shallots
2 Tbsp. Lingonberry preserves
2 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Stir together 2 Tbsp. mustard and 1 Tbsp. melted butter in a small dish.  In a greased baking pan, place the salmon skin side down.  Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper, and spread the mustard mixture over the top.  Bake until salmon is cooked through, and the mustard begins to brown, about 10 minutes.  (I covered my pan with aluminum foil.)

While the salmon is baking, heat the remaining butter in a heavy small skillet over medium heat.  Add the shallots and sauté for 2 minutes.   Add the lingonberry preserves and the vinegar, and stir until the mixture is smooth.  Bring to a simmer.  Season with salt and pepper.

The sauce can be spooned over the salmon and then served, but I just served the sauce on the side and let everyone put their own on.

No comments :

Post a Comment