Friday, September 11, 2015

Recipe | Chocolate Caramel Oatmeal Bars


I like having a treat in the afternoon... just like my mom.  Lately, bars have been my go-to treat.  They are quick and easy, especially for in the summer.  Either my mom or I would make a pan of bars, slice the pan into 12, wrap each one in plastic wrap, and freeze them.  This worked great because it is all portion-controlled and the bars were always ready to go - and, ready for me to pack with my lunch for work.

Now that school has started, I also love having bars.  Since, I am not able to bake as much, I can have a bunch of individually wrapped bars in my little freezer at school, ready for me to pull out (like each day!).  Having a little treat to enjoy each day gives the day a little something to look forward to.

  

The original recipe calls for caramel candy cubes, melted and mixed with cream.  If I were to use pre-made caramels, I would want some high quality caramels, not any that I could purchase near me.  Since melting together the caramels and cream essentially makes a caramel sauce, I decided to try using my homemade caramel sauce.  It worked great!



Chocolate Caramel Oatmeal Bars

48 soft caramel candy cubes*
1/2 cup heavy cream*

2 cups old-fashion oatmeal (I do about 1 1/2 cups old-fashion and 1/2 cup quick-cooking)
2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 sticks butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I do a heaping cup)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.  Place caramels and cream in a saucepan.  Cook until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally.  Let cool.*

Mix together the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.  With a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles course meal.  Press AT LEAST half of the oatmeal mixture into the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees until the crust just starts to set and to brown around the edges, about 20 minutes.

Let cool for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips and drizzle with caramel mixture.  Gently press the remaining oatmeal mixture on top.  Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until pale golden.  Let cool completely before cutting into.

*Instead of melting together caramels and cream, I make my own caramel sauce.  I drizzle the bars with about 1 cup of it.  I use this salted caramel sauce (you will need to make a double batch).




No comments :

Post a Comment