Monday, September 7, 2015

My Summer Recap

Happy Labor Day!

I have been home for this long weekend with two weeks down of school.  It is so good to be home!  I am just blogging some pictures from my summer.  Even though I have gotten back into the swing of school, it still feels a bit like summer - especially with the hot, humid weather.

When I returned back to campus, it felt like I had just been there.  Where did summer go?  This summer wasn't anything too exciting for me, mostly work.  I never knew what time I would get done at work, so it was hard to really plan anything.  Then I would occasionally get a couple days off, but they would tell me that I didn't need to work the day before.  It was nice getting some days off, but they were so sudden that it was hard to plan anything to do.  Luckily, I was able to do a few fun things on some weekends.


I left the house very early each morning... just as the sun was coming up.


As I would walk out the door to go to work, our dog Sofie would always be curled up on her chair on the porch.


I relaxed a lot in front of the tv - I watched way more tv than I usually do.  Especially at the beginning of the summer.  We don't get any tv channels so we watch all the old shows.  One of my favorites is That Girl.  I was on a huge That Girl kick for a while!


At the end of my the spring semester I fell in love with lilacs.  There were all over campus and they smell so good!  (These lilacs are in our landscaping.)


We went on a Sunday afternoon bike ride.



I met up with Maddy and Betsy, friends from pre-school, to go out to eat one evening.



I made strawberry jam.  It turned out the best it ever has for me this year!!



My friend Tenley and I spend a day biking around the lakes and then went to a Twins' game.


I like the burgers at Target Field.


There were so many beautiful flowers around our place to enjoy.


This summer I got really out-of-shape.  I didn't have much motivation... especially after waking up at 4:30 in the morning and working in a factory all day.  But, I did manage to get in one road race - the Raspberry Run with my brother.  Thomas really wanted to do it this year, and I always like road races, so I just did it without any training.


My mom, sister, and I had a day of shopping.  I really needed some summer clothes.  It started with pizza at Fat Lorenzo's, a favorite pizza place.



Strawberries from our garden.


This year I did a garden and actually kept it maintained.  Basically I just grew what I would need to make salsa.







I made salsa this weekend.  Only, our tomatoes haven't been ripening very well, so we got some from some friends' garden.  Then, I cut the hot peppers first.  My hands burned for the rest of the day.  It was awful.  I couldn't barely touch anything.  This kind of wrecked the whole salsa making.  I had a little help from my sister and mom.  But, we were also busy getting ready for relatives to come over the next day to celebrate summer birthdays (post coming soon).  So, we ended up making only a half batch.  It's ok though.  I guess I learned my lesson:  one, don't cut the hot peppers first, and two, where gloves when cutting hot peppers.


The next pictures are pictures that I took of our garden this weekend.  The flowers really grew while I was gone, and so did everything else.  It is a little overgrown... the tomato plants are falling over.






My summer get-away was going up to my friend Maddy's cabin for a weekend.  It was great!


We collected clams and shells and did lots of boating.



Clams are so cool!  It was so much fun.



Of course, I cooked and baked... a lot.







Making a cake... this is only the first layer.




My mom got me this cake plate.  It makes displaying food so much fun!




I packed my lunch each day for work.  I used to pack my lunch everyday during high school.  I like packing lunches.  This is one of my new favorite sandwich combinations:
Spring Mix Lettuce or Spinach
Roast Beef (or ham or turkey)
a thin slice of Provolone cheese
a thin layer of mayo
a little Dijon mustard 







So Delicious!


I made a quilt.  I blogged about it here.







Towards the end of the summer, I would go for evening walks down our gravel road.


A week ago, my family got a new puppy!!  It was a birthday present for my sister, but is a family dog.  Her name is Zoey and she is a Cockapoo.  She is SUPER ADORABLE.  I wish I could bring her to college with me.


Here is a sneak-peak of my dorm room.  I will eventually blog some pictures of it, but first, I will be back with a recipe!

No comments :

Post a Comment