Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Our Garden Is Well Under Way

        For the last few years we have done a big garden.  We have usually always done something, but not as big as we are doing now.

        For the last summer or two, I have started to really enjoy gardening.  Last year I helped with a lot of the planting, but this year I did most of the planting... my mom was in the garden too this year, but she was doing other work.  It was really fun!!  One thing that is strange about my liking to garden, is that I for some reason, I actually, kind of, enjoy weeding... when that weeds come out easily, they are kind of fun to pull.  Also, with gardening, I find it a great way to get a tan.  Not that I actually tan, I usually burn, but lately my skin seems to be tanning rather than burning.  And its not much of a tan, but for me, it's a tan.

 We grow our corn and green beans in batches.  That way it isn't all ready at once.  We eat a lot fresh and then freeze a lot too.
 (I took a the picture here and then realized there was a rake there and I didn't want the rake in the picture, so I moved the rake and retook the picture, but I think I accidentally deleted that picture.   So I guess the rake will be in the picture.)
 I waited to take and then post these pictures until the garden was all weeded, or at least as good as it is going to get.  The garden was full of weeds before this and there are still more.  But the ones left are the "not fun ones" or in the corn. 

We are growing corn, potatoes, peas, pea pods, green beans, onions, radishes, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, squash, a variety of pumpkins, and flowers.  Then the garden is where our strawberries and rhubarb are.  This year we started asparagus, but that won't be ready to eat for a couple years.

No comments :

Post a Comment