Sunday, October 20, 2013

It's Really Feeling Like Fall

This year, I have been really excited for fall.  Mainly because of the fall foods, the colors, and the cozy feeling fall brings.  I have been baking a lot with pumpkin and apples.  And, oh, the soups.... yummy.  The colors of fall are cozy.  It may be chilly outside, but the colors around, and outside, are warm.  It has been exciting to see the trees change colors.  It is also fun to have pumpkins around.

Lately, the air has been nice and crisp.  You know it is fall, when the air is cool and crisp.  It is "cold" outside, and I like it hot, but I am really enjoying the fall, crisp weather.



 Every fall, when someone makes a leaf pile, our dog gets the most use out of it.  She loves sleeping in the leaves at night.  She curls up into a small bowl, and stays nice and warm.

 




In the right, of the picture on the left, is an old flour tin.  It is one that my great grandma used.  My Mom's cousin had it in her garage, and when she was going through her garage, she thought that maybe my Mom would like it.  Of course, she did.  She brought it home, and put it in the basement.  Sadly, bugs invaded it.  That is why it is now outside.  So, we might have to get rid of it.  In the left, of the same picture, is a woodpecker house built for my great grandma, who is, by the way, known as Bestemor, which means "Grandma" in Norwegian.  It was built for her when she lived on the farm.  Behind the bird house, is a little part of a white fence.  That was also her's.


Today, I made this cake.  When I had it finished, I got a good laugh at it.  It had TOTALLY fell apart.  It is the Pioneer Women's Coffee Cream Cake.  I wasn't sure if it was going to turn out at first.  Like, it would taste right, turn out.  In the picture in the cookbook, the cake looks a lot darker... like a chocolate cake.  So, I made the cake, and double checked to make sure I had all the ingredients.  Then, I baked it.  But, it looked a lot lighter.  I checked the recipe again, to make sure I didn't forget anything, like chocolate.  Noo, I didn't.  So, I checked the recipe on her website, to make sure that didn't have an ingredient that the cookbook didn't have.  Nope.  It didn't.  But, the picture on her website, of this cake, looked lighter like mine.  That gave me a boost of confidence.  Also, the cake took way longer to bake, then instructed in the recipe.  Finally, the toothpick came out clean, and it was done.

I let the cake cool, then, took it out of the pan to cool some more.  But, it fell apart.  I tasted it.  It was pretty good.  I made the frosting, and frosted the cake.
  

The cake was DELICIOUS!  The top frosting was the best.  Super yummy!  It doesn't matter if the cake is fallen apart, it still tastes great.  I would definitely suggest making this cake.
P.S. I think the recipe on her website is frosted a little differently than how it is frosted in the cookbook.  I would definitely suggest purchasing the Pioneer Women Cookbook.

No comments :

Post a Comment