Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Oatmeal Creations

One of my favorite breakfasts is oatmeal.  It makes a cozy breakfast on cool mornings... in the fall, winter, or early spring.  I don't like the quick 1-minute stuff though.  I like the old fashion oatmeal.  With oatmeal, there are so many different toppings, that it can be different every time.

To make sure that I get a well-rounded meal, I cook my oatmeal in milk.  I do not like it cooked in water and then adding milk because otherwise you will get a watered down milk and a hot/cold mixture... yuck!  I cook my oatmeal usually in at least half milk and half water to cooked all in milk.  If you less milk then water, you will still get the watered down milk taste.  Every once in a while, I will add a splash of milk at the end, but only a tiny splash.  Then, I always had chopped walnuts, but you could add whatever nuts you like.

To Cook the Oatmeal:  I pretty much follow the instructions on the Quaker Oat oatmeal container.  So, measure out your milk, and water, into a saucepan.  Heat it up on LOW.  Heating milk on high will end up in a mess... trust me, I know.  When the milk is hot, it may not be boiling, add the oatmeal.  Stir occasionally.  After a few minuets, with the heat still on, I turn the heat off, and cover the pot.  Let sit for a couple minuets, before you dish it up, top, and enjoy.

Here are some oatmeal toppings I enjoy.

My Morning Apple Crisp



I call this "my morning apple crisp" because it seems just like apple crisp.  Apple crisp as oats in it, so the oatmeal would represent that.  Cooking the oatmeal in milk gives it the creaminess, which would be like the butter.  The cinnamon for the flavor.  And, of course, apples, because apple crisp wouldn't be apple crisp without apples.  The maple syrup would be like the sugar in the apple crisp.  Then I add nuts and raisins... just because I like them.


Follow my cooking instructions.
Add raisins in the last minuet or two that the oatmeal is sitting in the pot.  This will make them nice and plump, or soft.
Dice up an apple.  I usually only dice up half the apple to put on my oatmeal, and then I just eat the other half.  Usually I peal the apple, but you don't really half to.
Add some nuts.
Sprinkle just a pinch of cinnamon over the top.

Add some maple syrup.


And, Enjoy!




Fresh Fruit

Basically, just cook the oatmeal.  Then add whatever diced up fresh fruit you would like.  Add some nuts and honey or maple syrup if you desire.

Peaches and strawberries with nuts.

  
Yuummmmy!
Blueberries and Strawberries with honey and nuts.

Peaches and raspberries.


Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries with honey.

Frozen Fruit

Frozen fruit is great for in the winter.  I keep some frozen fruit in the freezer, and then when I need some, I pour some into a little bowl, and defrost it in the microwave.  The fruit will get really juicy.  So, I pure SOME of the juice out, before I put it on the oatmeal.  Then just add some nuts, honey or maple syrup, or whatever you like, and enjoy!



Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries with honey.


Dried Fruit

When adding dried fruit to your oatmeal, I suggest adding it to the oatmeal the last minuet or two that it is cooking/sitting in the pot.  This will make the fruit plumper and juicier... and yummier.  Then top it with nuts, honey or maple syrup, or whatever you would like.  You can use raisin, craisins, dried cherries, etc.

Raisins with maple syrup and nuts.
Pear

This is a new combination that I tried.  It is pretty much the same as "My Morning Apple Crisp", but with different fruits.


Add craisins in the last minuet or two that the oatmeal is in the pot.  If you want to, you can add the pear in with the craisins.  It makes the pear chunks a little warmer and yummier.  I, then, also added more pear on top, along with honey and nuts.  This would also be good with maple syrup.

No comments :

Post a Comment