Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Potato Garden

The last two summers, I have grown potatoes for the food shelf, as a community service project.  Last year, the potato produce was excellent.  This year, I wasn't so sure if they were going to come out.

The master gardener, who has helped me get going on this project, thought that the potatoes wouldn't grow because the soil was too wet.  But, I went ahead and planted them.  My Mom helped me plant them, and now, of course, helped me dig them up.  We planted them kind of late, and only checked the garden once... to weed it (the garden is at the community garden in our town, not at our house).

The other day, we dug up our potatoes, and were surprised on how much we actually got.  So, with a little hope, we headed right out the the potato garden to see if there were any potatoes.  And, sure enough, there were!


Planting the potatoes in the spring.


We started with 6.5 pounds (we're pretty sure) of seed potatoes.


I do everything in my crocs.  I LOVE crocs!

"Harvesting" the potatoes in the fall (or I guess it is technically late summer).


We didn't start until sun set, so we didn't finish until it was pretty much dark out.



We grew 46.5 pounds of potatoes for the food shelf!


The next day, we brought them to the food shelf:)

No comments :

Post a Comment