Monday, January 6, 2014

A Weekend Get-Away to Grandma's and a Sewing Project


 Over Christmas break I did pretty much nothing.  I did do some baking, went to Grandma's for Christmas - but didn't stay extra, and then got sick - so I couldn't do much.  By the end of the break I was feeling like I needed to do something.  I needed to get out of the house.
My mom called my Grandma to see if I could come stay the weekend with her and Grandpa.  Of course I could.  So, on Friday after school and work, my Grandma picked me up to go up to her place.


On Saturday, my Grandma had a Lakselget luncheon.  I went to that with my her.  Lakselget is a group of Norwegian ladies.  Laks means salmon in Norwegian and salmon skim up stream.  The idea of this group is to be ones that go against the flow, like salmon.
The luncheon was at a gulf course.  They always have salmon, potatoes, and cooked carrots.  There was a white sauce for the salmon, a cucumber salad, and dinner rolls at each table to pass around.  And, someone had made krumkake to put out on each table.  The food was all very delicious!
After we ate, there was a speaker.  The speaker this time was a photographer.  She grew up on a four-generation farm in North Dakota.  Her ancestors came from Norway.  With her photography, she made a book documenting the history of her farm.  She was a pretty good speaker.  The "meeting" also had some fun Norwegian announcements (I guess that is what you could call them), a prize for the person with a paper heart under their saucer, and some birthday gifts for those with a birthday in January.
I thought this entire luncheon was pretty interesting and fun.

I have had this fabric that I have been wanting to make a skirt out of for a little while now.  This weekend get-away would be a great time to have my Grandma to help me with it.  After the Lakselget luncheon, we ran over to Jo-Ann's to get some elastic that we needed.  Then, I wanted to go for a walk/jog around the lake, since is was going to be the only semi-warm day for a while.  We also had to do a quick grocery run.  After doing some running around that day, we headed back to Grandma's.
That evening we had supper and worked on the skirt.

The only pattern we had were my two favorite skirts.  The beginning part of the skirt wasn't too hard, but the towards the end, my Grandma was doing something new, and I had never sewn a skirt before, so my Grandma did most of the work.

It is a corduroy skirt with a silky lining.  I love the way it turned out!

Originally, I was just going to stay up at my Grandparents' until Sunday.  But, then, on Friday, the governor decided to cancel school for the whole state on Monday because of the predicted extreme cold.  So, why not stay up there until Monday?  But, on Sunday morning my Mom called and said that maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to be out traveling on Monday in the extreme cold.  So, on Sunday, my Grandma and I hurried to finish the skirt so that I could get home on Sunday evening.  And, now I am just at home on this extremely cold  "snow day".  But I had a nice little get-away.



No comments :

Post a Comment