Sunday, March 23, 2014

My Turtle Collection

When I was younger, and we would go to the Washington D.C. Zoo, my favorite animal to see were the giant tortoises.  My grandma and grandpa used to have a house right outside of Washington D.C. in Virginia.  To entertain us kids, we would always go to the zoo.  I loved the tortoises!  They were huge!

Ever since, my grandma has gotten me little turtles from places around the world that she has visited.  So, I have come to have a turtle collection.

My grandma is pretty much the only person to give anything turtle, besides one or two other people.


My grandma has given me all (besides maybe 2) these turtles from places that she has traveled to.




My friend Tenley knit me this adorable turtle for my birthday!





My grandma was at an art/craft show once and there was a coin purse like this one above with a chick on it.  My sister loves chicks, so she got it for her.  My grandma asked the lady if she could make one with a turtle on it for me.  I gave my grandma one of my turtle napkins (below) so she could show the craft lady what kind of turtle I would like on a coin purse.  And, this is what I got back.  I love this coin purse.  I love the design and the actual coin purse.


 My mom found these turtle napkins and got them just because of the turtles.  I haven't ever wanted to use them because they are so cute.





















I have a few bags with turtles on them (all given to me by my grandma).  The one in the back has pretty much the same turtles on it as the napkins above.  But, my grandma gave me the bag and my mom gave me the napkins.  They are different places... kind of funny.

I also have a turtle notepad and I wouldn't be surprised if I have anything else with turtles on it around the house.

























I found this recipe for "Turtle Bread" in a church cookbook we have under the section "Kids in the Kitchen."  I just had to make it!

Turtle Bread


2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 pkg. quick-acting active dry yeast
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup milk
1 T. butter
1 eggs
2 raisins

Mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
Heat water, milk, and butter to 125 to 130 degrees.  Stir into yeast mixture.
Stir in egg.
Stir in enough of remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.
Sprinkle a surface lightly with flour.
Turn the dough onto the surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
Cover and let rest 10 minutes.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Shape a 2-inch piece of dough into a ball for a head.
Shape 4 walnut-size pieces of dough into balls for feet.
Shape 1 walnut-size piece of dough into a tail.
Shape remaining dough into a ball for the body.  Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
Attach the head, feet, and tail.
Make crisscross cuts in the body, to look like a turtle's shell.
Press raisins into head for eyes.
Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 20 - 25 minutes.

*I didn't make the pieces exactly the sizes it says to do, just approximately.  Also, I let mine rise a little longer.

No comments :

Post a Comment