Saturday, March 29, 2014

Egg-Salad Sandwiches

Spring is definitely in the air.

Today I had a an early morning track practice.  It was a beautiful early, spring morning.  The sky was sunny, about 30 degrees outside, and the birds were chirping.  We had a meet last night and we didn't get home until midnight (the meet moved along way slower than usual, so it went way later than usual).  Practice was just an easy day.  As, I was running down the streets (extra slowly, for my legs really didn't have any energy in them), hearing the birds chirp and taking in the fresh air was so nice.  I could definitely tell spring is here, or almost (you never know, the weather here can change drastically quickly).

Our chickens have started laying eggs again.  That must mean spring is here.  And, they are laying a lot!


With Easter coming, and spring, here is an egg-salad sandwich recipe.  I haven't tried many (this is probably the only egg salad I have ever had), but it is delicious!  It is really easy to make.  I like to make buns with cranberries and allspice seasoning in them - I love the egg salad on them!  You can add lots of different toppings - spinach or good lettuce, tomato, radish, or whatever you please.  I usually just do lettuce and tomato.  This recipe makes enough for one sandwich, or maybe 2 small ones, so I usually triple it.  Also, I always refrigerate the salad before eating it.

Egg-Salad Sandwich

2 eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I do 1/2 light and 1/2 real mayo)
3/4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Place eggs in a medium saucepan with water to cover.  Bring to a boil over high heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes, remove from heat, and let eggs sit in pot with water for 5 minutes.  Cool eggs in a large bowl of ice water for a minute or so.  Peel shells, and cut eggs into large pieces.  In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Gently mix in with the eggs.  Place on bread, top, and enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment