Friday, May 16, 2014

Anna Marie's Famous Sugar Cookies

Whenever we get together, usually for a special occasion, my great aunt Anna Marie makes us these DELICIOUS sugar cookies.  They are soo good... melt-in-your-mouth.

Around last Christmas, I set out to try to find the best sugar cookie recipe... I was hoping to find one as good as Anna Marie's.  I got close, but it wasn't the same.  I had my brother John's help.  He would do "taste-tests" for me.

At the beginning of last April, I got a phone call from Anna Marie.  She told me that she was going to give me her sugar cookie recipe.  I WAS SUPER EXCITED!!

She told me that for a long time she had a favorite sugar cookie recipe.  But, when her daughter moved to the cities, she got into a cookie exchange.  And, there were sugar cookies BETTER than Anna Marie's.  So, Anna Marie did some looking through cookbooks to find some sugar cookie recipes to try.  She found the same recipe throughout the books, but with just different amounts of flour, they ranged from 4 to 5 cups flour.


Anna Marie would try a recipe, and then her daughter would test them to see if they were as the ones she had at the bake sale.  This reminded Anna Marie of me and John.  I bake something and John does "taste-tests" for me the help me to find the best recipes.


Anna Marie found that the less flour you do, the more tender they are.


These cookies are super tender and are very crumbly... and super delicious.  They don't transport very easily, but you do find yourself bringing them somewhere, it might be better to go with a greater amount of flour.


Anna Marie's Famous  White Sugar Cookies

1 c. white sugar
1 c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter
1 c. oil
2 eggs
2 tsp. almond or vanilla extract (or one of each)
4 to 4 1/2 c. sifted flour*
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar

*I would suggest to do 4 c. + 2 T. flour for really tender cookies.  If you need them less tender, do more flour.  Anna Marie wrote that recipes vary about flour (4-5 c.).  The less flour - more tender.

Cream together the white sugar, powdered sugar, butter, and oil.  Add the eggs and almond/vanilla extract.  Mix in the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.

Make balls.  Dip in sugar.  Press with the bottom of a glass.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Anna Marie always dips them in colored sugar (sprinkles) to make them with a little color.


When I was taking a BUNCH of pictures of the cookies, John said that the only good ones would be the ones that he is in.  Here is a picture for John.

Thanks Anna Marie for the recipe!  I have already made them a couple times!

No comments :

Post a Comment