Monday, May 12, 2014

What I've Been Up To Lately...

Track started last March.  I pretty much had the first week of practice and then I went on the band/choir trip to NYC.  I did some running out there, but it was hard to get in any really good workouts.  The first three meets came along and my times showed that I was way out of shape (this last winter was a really hard one to get in shape after being out for a few months).  Then my ankle started acting up.  The more I would do the more it would swell.  It didn't swell anything like it did last fall when I had the stress fracture, but I didn't want to take any chances.  So, I took it easy and didn't do much running.  I went to the doctor and he said it was just some strained ligaments from doing too much, too fast, too soon.  I had started to do more speed work on the track and I am sure that running more on the track didn't help much... always turning left.

The doctor gave me a brace, and that has really helped.  It has been fine since.  I think my coach was kind of mad at me that I haven't been running like I was a year ago.  But, I really truly am not a good runner... naturally.  And, I don't think he remembers that.  This track season I am just trying to have fun.

Meanwhile, while my ankle had started to act up, my mom started thinking that maybe I need to reevaluate my future plans.  Last March I blogged that I had decided to go to University of Sioux Falls.  I was planning on running, but I hadn't decided on a major.  I was planning on starting with taking the general courses and to work on finding a major.

This last winter, I have found myself in the kitchen more often than not.  I love trying new recipes, comparing them, keeping record of how they turn, and kind of experimenting around.  A while back someone had suggested to my mom that maybe I should consider food science.

So, while I was out from running a little bit this spring, my mom and I started thinking that maybe running shouldn't be one of my top reasons for a college.  USF doesn't have food science as a major and we contacted that admissions office to see if I could create my own food science major.  They said that I wouldn't be very competitive for getting a job after graduating.

We started looking around at schools with food science.  Pretty much only the big state universities have it.  First we went to Iowa State University.  Both my mom and I were impressed with it.  We both went in thinking we wouldn't really like it, but we actually came out really liking it.  And, the food science program sounded amazing!

The next week we went to checked out South Dakota State University.  And, we both came out not liking it very well... beside the homemade ice cream they make on their campus!!!  I am glad we went to check it out, so that we had something to compare ISU to.

On Sunday night I sent in my admissions deposit to Iowa State University.  Picking a college is kind of stressful... I just want to do the right thing.  I know I can transfer, but I don't what to go into college with the mindset that I am going to transfer in a year or two... if I absolutely have to transfer I will, but that's different.

I feel that having the stress fracture last fall, and then having my ankle start to act up this spring has been totally a God thing.

I am pretty excited to go to Iowa State... it is going to be a BIG adventure.  And, now I know what I plan to major in.  I feel that it is the right place for me.



On our way back from SDSU, my mom and I drove through Walnut Grove.  This is were Laura Ingalls Wilder grew up.  My sister LOVES this show.  I had to take a picture for here!



So, what else have I been up to beside reevaluating what college I am going to go to?
Well, it is May.  That means I only have 11 days left of school... I mean 11 days left of high school.  Forever.

Last Friday we had our Pops & Pie concert.  The theme was Disney.  

We are busy around here trying to get as much done as possible to get ready for my graduation party.

It is starting to get really green outside!!

No comments :

Post a Comment