Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Scotcheroos


Here is one last recipe before I go off to college.  Or, it is the first recipe that I am posting while at college.  Well, I made these bars yesterday (the day before I left for college) and was going to post the recipe last night night, but I didn't have time.  So, I posting it now.

This summer, I wanted to try out scotcheroos a couple different ways.  Scotcheroos or special k bars are basically the same thing, besides the cereal used.  So, I wanted to try scotcheroos/special k bars with Rice Krispies (scotcheroos) and Special K Cereal (special k bars).  Pretty much all recipes call for corn syrup, but I always like to substitute honey for corn syrup.


The first pan of bars I made were with Rice Krispies and honey.  They were DELICIOUS!  The honey is a little more distinct, but not bad, on the day they are made, but by the second day, it becomes more neutral.  
The second pan of bars I made were with Special K Cereal and corn syrup.  Um, yeah.  They were awful compared to the first pan.  My mom and I could hardly eat them... we ended up throwing most of the pan out.  


Once, I decided that I like Rice Krispies and honey in these bars best, I tested the bars using different amounts of ingredients (Ok, maybe one other way, the first pan was just so good!)


Scotcheroos

1 cup white sugar
1 cup honey
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 (12 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips
1 (12 oz.) pkg. butterscotch chips

In a large saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup.  Heat to dissolve sugar and bring to a boil; remove from heat.  Stir in peanut butter.  Add Rice Krispies and mix until well blended.  Press in 9x13 inch pan (lined with parchment paper).
Melt together the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until smooth.  Spread mixture over the top of  the Rice Krispies mixture.  Cool and cut.

Note:  It helps to get your fingers wet to press the Rice Krispies mixture into the pan.



No comments :

Post a Comment