Thursday, July 24, 2014

Blueberry Muffins


This summer has flown by.  I can't believe it is almost August!



I have been working on my blueberry muffin recipe and I now have my favorite.  First I tried lots of different recipes to find a good basic recipe.  Once I found one that I really liked, I tried it lots of different ways.  I tested to see if I should add vanilla or not, if I can add in some wheat flour, if I can substitute other berries in for the blueberries, if I can use a low-fat milk, and if I can make these as blueberry lemon muffins.


There is no need for vanilla.  These muffins are still delicious with half white flour and half wheat flour.  Of course, I can use other berries besides blueberries.  These must be made with 2% or whole milk.  And, I can make delicious blueberry lemon muffins by adding in some lemon juice to the batter and adding a lemon glaze.

These muffins are wonderful.  They are soft, moist, and full of blueberries.  They don't take long to make - it takes me maybe 10 minutes to whip up a batch. 

Blueberry Muffins

1/2 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 eggs
1/2 cup 2% or whole milk
2 cups flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar, divided
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 - 2 1/2 cups blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.  Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Whisk together the butter, eggs, and milk with a mixer or by hand.  Add in 3/4 cup sugar and the flour mixture.  Mix to combine.  Fold in the blueberries.  The batter will be on the thicker side.  Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.  Sprinkle the tops with remaining 1 tsp. sugar.  Bake until muffins are golden and a toothpick comes out clean, 25 - 30 minutes.

Blueberry Lemon Variation:  Add 2 tsp. lemon juice to the muffin batter.  I still sprinkle the 1 tsp. of sugar on top to give them the yummy crust.  Bake.  When cool, drizzle the glaze over the muffins.  For the glaze, I whisked together 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 T. lemon juice.  I took the paper liners off the muffins before I put the glaze on.  Also, I would suggest setting the muffins on a rimmed baking sheet before you drizzle the glaze on them.  That way you can spoon up any of the glaze that didn't stay on the muffins and re-drizzle in back on.

Enjoy!

They make great on-the-go breakfasts and snacks!

No comments :

Post a Comment