Monday, July 14, 2014

Banana Bars


Banana bars are just one of those things that I remember having as a kid.  It is like banana muffins, a basic recipe to have - an always go-to recipe.  This is the recipe that my mom has always made.  They are delicious!  So, make them.  They are super easy to make.


My dad and I like to have a banana each morning with breakfast.  So, we always have bananas at our house.  And, we get lots of very ripe bananas.  Since we don't make something with the ripe bananas every time, we freeze them.  We peel the ripe bananas, put them in a plastic freezer bag (you could do a container), and then freeze them.  Whenever we get a ripe banana, we add it to the bag.  When we are ready to make something with the bananas, such as banana muffins or bars, we let them defrost and then they are ready to use.  Freezing the bananas this way also makes them nice and juicy after they have defrosted.  So, don't forget to add some of the juice in (but not too much or else your baked good will become all soggy).


I like to line my pans with parchment paper.  I just tear off a big piece and then press it into the pan.  I fill the pan with the batter and then trim the edges so they aren't so long.  I really like the way my baked goods turn out when I use parchment paper.  I really notice the difference when I make yeast breads.  They are nice and moist... and come out of the pan a lot easier.


Banana Bars

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. sour cream (I use light)
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. mashed ripe bananas
2 t. vanilla
2 c.  flour
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1/2 c. chopped nut, optional

Cream together the sugar, sour cream, and butter.  Add the eggs.  Add the bananas and vanilla.  Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt and add to the banana mixture.  Mix.  You can mix in the nuts now if you want nuts.  Spread the batter into a greased or parchment lined jelly roll pan.  Bake at 375 degrees until light brown, 20 - 25 minutes.  Cool.

Frosting:
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
1 T. cream or milk
1 t. vanilla

Beat together until smooth and spread on cooled bars.

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment