Saturday, February 8, 2014

Mom's Banana Muffins


This morning I go up and made a big batch of banana muffins.  Today I had nothing scheduled to do.  No school, no work, and no church to have to go to right away in the morning.  I stayed in my pjs until noon.  I have been in a cooking mood, so I didn't only bake up some banana muffins, but I also made some potato salad (I have been hungry for potato salad.... summer needs to come sooner) and beans to go with supper tonight.  Then this afternoon I went for the best run I have had since last July.  It is actually really nice out - it is supposed to get really cold again.  I ran 4 miles in 32:07!!!


This is my Mom's banana muffin recipe.  They are so good.  They are the ones she always makes.  It is a very large batch - it makes 3 dozen.  Make sure you use a very large bowl to mix the batter.  You probably will have to use an electric hand mixer.  A typical Kitchen Aid stand mixer just won't do it.

Some in our family like plain, some like just chocolate chip, and some like nut chocolate chip.  So, we some of each.  You can make this into bread.  But, we prefer muffins.  Whenever we make muffins we then freeze whatever we don't eat that day, so that we can pull one or two muffins out whenever we want one.  And... we always have a hard time getting to bread to bake thoroughly.

We always have bananas at our house.  So, we get lots of ripe bananas.  When we get a ripe one, we like to peel it and then freeze it.  We will keep a freezer bag or container in to freezer for the bananas.  Then, when we are going to make some banana muffins, we pull the bananas out of the freezer and let them defrost.  After the bananas have been frozen and then thawed out, there will be some juice from the bananas.  Go ahead and add some of that juice into the batter!


Mom's Banana Muffins

1 cup butter
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 cups sugar
6 beaten eggs
3 cups mashed bananas
1 cup light sour cream or yogurt (I like to use plain, nonfat, greek yogurt)
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 tsp. baking soda
Chocolate Chips
Chopped Nuts (walnuts) 
  1. Cream together the butter, apple sauce, and sugar.
  2. Add the beaten eggs.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients.
  4. Mix.
  5. Bake at 325 degrees for 24 minutes.  

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment