Saturday, February 1, 2014

Shirley Nygren's Valentine Roll-Out Cookies




I have kind of been in the valentine's mood lately.  Well, I guess Valentine's Day is coming soon.  I have made some valentines.  I have also made a bunch of cookies.

When my Mom was growing up her neighbor would make my Mom and her sister (my aunt) these cookies each year for Valentine's Day.  They would each get one BIG cookie with their name frosted on it.  My Mom says that it was so wonderful.  They couldn't wait till Valentine's Day, just because they would be getting one of these cookies.

These cookies have been the sugar cookies that I have grown up having.  They are very delicious.  They are soft, moist, and flavorful.  These sugar cookies are a bit more brown because they have brown sugar instead of white sugar in them.

A lot of the time we will make the cookies one day, put them in the freezer, and then frost them another day.  That way it isn't too much to do in one day.

The frosting recipe is delicious too.  My Mom has changed it up a little from Shirley Nigren's original frosting recipe.  Her frosting had a lot more butter in it.  The frosting will be kind of crumbly before you had the milk.
Shirley Nygren's Valentine Roll-Out Cookies

1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup sweet or sour cream
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix.  Chill dough.  Roll out and use cookie cutter.  Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.
Let cool and then decorate.

Frosting:

2 eggs whites - use pasteurized eggs
1/2 cup butter
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1 t. almond extract
a few tablespoons milk

Beat a long time.
You can cover the bowl the frosting is in with a wet rag to keep it from drying out. 


 Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment