Friday, February 28, 2014

Mom's Pumpkin Muffins



This last fall I was on the search to find the best pumpkin muffins.  I came down with two favorites. This one is the one that my Mom has always made - tried and true.  The other one I plan on blogging another time.

I know it isn't really pumpkin season anymore.  But, pumpkin is just good anytime of the year.

I did do a little playing around with my Mom's recipe though.  Usually my Mom does 3 cups pumpkin puree, and they are kind of soggy then.  So, I tried them with just one can of pumpkin (about 2 cups) and they were much better.  Also, the original recipe calls for 2/3 cup water.  Sometimes my Mom adds the water and sometimes not.  I decided to just try 1/3 cup water is great.  I do think the color of these muffins is a little different when you use canned pumpkin and homemade pumpkin puree, but either one works.

I was practicing my photography when I was taking these pictures.

I made these into mini pumpkin muffins a couple of weeks ago for my Sunday School kids.  They seemed to really like them.  I always like to have a snack time during Sunday School because it is the only time I can get the little 2 and 3 year olds to sit down and be quite.  We don't really have any good snacks around to bring for them so, I decided to make a batch of these pumpkins muffins for snack on Sunday since we had some pumpkin puree in our freezer.  Also, there is another bake sale tomorrow and I am to bring some bake goods for that, so I made part of the batter into a mini loaf.  Then, with the leftover batter, I made some regular-sized muffins for us.

Mom's Pumpkin Muffins

1 - 15 oz. can pumpkin or 2 cups homemade pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cloves
1/4 t. ginger
nuts, optional
raisins, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease or line muffin pans (you could do loaves if you prefer).

Mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, applesauce, water, and sugar.

In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.

Mix dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture.

Spoon into muffin pans.

Bake for about 26 min.

And, Enjoy!


 My Mom bought these beautiful flowers today!  I just had to take a picture of them by themselves since I had the camera out.

No comments :

Post a Comment