Saturday, September 7, 2013

SALSA

It is the time of the year when the garden has all the vegetables you need for making SALSA!  I love salsa, and I LOVE homemade salsa.  Salsa really isn't that hard to make.  Basically, it is just chopping up some vegetables, mixing them to together with some seasonings, and letting it cook.  This is the first batch of salsa we made, but we will be making lots more.  Since we had a lot of tomatoes, and didn't want to to rot, we made some.  I didn't think it was enough to make it worth going through the entire canning process, so we are keeping this batch in the fridge until we make more (soon), and then we will do some canning.

Here's How to Make the Salsa:


First you want to peel off the skins of the tomatoes.  Put the tomatoes in a boiling pot of water, just until the skin starts to crack (pull away).

Let them cool enough so you can handle them.

Peel off the skins.


Dice them up (16 cups).  I dice the tomatoes up, and put them into a big measuring bowl, so I know how much I have.  Then, once the bowl is full, I empty the of tomatoes into the pot I am going to cook the salsa in, while I chop up the rest of the veggies.

Chop up the onion (4 cups) and add to tomatoes.

Chop up the hot peppers (1 1/4 cups) with seeds and add to the tomato mixture.


And, the green pepper (1 cup).

Add the sugar (3/4 cup)...

white vinegar (2 1/2 cups)...

salt (1/3 cup)...


 garlic salt (3 t.)...


chili powder (2 t.)...


 black pepper (2 t.)...


 cummin (2 t.)...


and alum (1 t.).


Mix it all together.


Cook (boil), uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.


Thicken with tomato paste.

 To Thicken It:


Take a scoop of the salsa out and put it in a smaller bowl.

Add in the tomato paste (4 T.).  I would add a tablespoon at a time, but I suppose you could do it all at once.    


Whisk in the tomato paste.


Put back in with the rest of the salsa and mix.

Let cool and refrigerate or can.  I will be posting the canning process later.

Salsa

16 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cups onions
1 1/4 cups chopped hot peppers (with seeds)
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup salt
3 t. garlic salt
2 t. chili pepper
2 t. black pepper
2 t. cumin
1 t. alum

Mix it all together.
Cook (boil), uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours
Thicken with about 4 T. tomato paste.

*You can thicken it with cornstarch instead of tomato paste, if you prefer.  But, I prefer tomato paste.

No comments :

Post a Comment