Sunday, November 3, 2013

Carrot Cake


I LOVE CARROT CAKE!!!  It is just so good!  I think it is best with carrots from the garden.


We still have carrots (in the fridge) from our garden.  So, I wanted to make a carrot cake today.  But, my Dad also wanted to have a "family day".  Well our "family days" are just boring.  We went to the early service at church... and we still got there late with day light savings.  We packed a lunch, and were going to find something to do as a family.  We ran a couple quick errands.  Everyone wanted to get home (I wanted to make a carrot cake, and I had gone all weekend, and felt like being at home).  Since, everyone wanted to get home, my Dad dragged the "family time" out which is usual.  He seemed to be in a bad mood, so being with him wasn't really "family time".  Then, we were going to go home, he decided he and my Mom need a new mattress, so he wanted to stop at a mattress store.  There, like most places, the salesmen were kind of pushy about the offers, and my Dad was being rather rood with them.  I hoped that the pushy salesmen would get him out of the store.  But, we stayed there a little while.  What my Dad thinks is fun, is finding a road to go exploring down.  Maybe it is to a guy, who doesn't have a desire to get home.  Not long after we started exploring down a road, we turned around and headed home... finally.


I got the cake in the oven quickly.  But, I wanted to try each part at a different temperature.  I have tested this cake at each temperature before, but I wanted to reassure my favorite.  I have tried many different carrot cakes, and I have concluded that this is my favorite.  I have tested to see if I like this recipe better at 300 degrees or 325 degrees.  The cake is excellent either way.  So, the cake took a little longer to bake than if I would have made it all at the same temperature.  My Mom and I were getting anxious for some cake, so it was still a bit warm when we ate it (carrot cake is better cold).  But it was still delicious!



Carrot Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Cream together the sugar, applesauce, oil, and eggs.  Sift in the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Fold in the carrots and pecans (I never do pecans).  Pour into greased and floured pan(s).  Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minuets.  Let cool.  Frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 - 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla

Beat together in mixer.

Cupcakes:  Line cupcake tin with liners.  Fill with batter.  I got mine to make 20 cupcakes.  Bake for 25-30 min.


No comments :

Post a Comment