Monday, November 11, 2013

Peter the Peanut Plant

 At the time that we were planting our garden, I was at the seed house with my Mom.  There I saw a peanut plant.  WOW!  Cool!  I want to grow a peanut plant!  So, we purchased a peanut plant.

 

I grew it in our garden.  I followed the directions on the back of the tag.  I had a picture of it growing, but it accidentally got deleted.



After it was done growing, I "harvested" my peanuts.  I pulled the plant out of the ground and shook the dirt off the plant.  I ended up hanging it to dry from a rafter in our basement.   I let the plant dry for two weeks.


Then, I pulled the peanuts off the plant and let them dry again.  The tag said to let the peanuts dry for another one to two weeks, but I think I ended up letting them dry for three weeks.


You want the peanuts completely dry before you eat them.  Once they were dry, I took the peanuts out of the shells.

I rinsed them with water.

I put the peanuts in a pan to roast.  I roasted them at 350 degrees.  I looked up how to make peanut butter on the computer.  So, I was kind of following some instructions.  I roasted the peanuts for about 20 min.  The recipe said to roast them for 30-35 minuets.  But, that was for a larger quantity of peanuts.  I think I roasted mine too long.

After the peanuts are roasted and cooled, I took the skins off them.

I wanted to make peanut butter with them.  So, I put them in the food processor.  I had to process them for a while.  I added in some salt while they were in the food processor.

 It's getting there.


Good enough!


 I tried some on some toast.  Store purchased peanut butter is way better.  I think I roasted the peanuts too long.  It doesn't even look like peanut butter.  It needs more salt... and some honey.

I ended up only putting a little on the corner of the toast to try.  That way I can say I tried it.  But, I ended up putting some "real" peanut butter on the rest.

No comments :

Post a Comment