Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sweet and Salty Chex Mix



 I am teaching 2 and 3 year olds Sunday school...  they have a lot of energy, are very rambunctious, and require lots of attention.  I am the teacher and my mom is the assistance.  We signed up last minuet to do it because our church needed someone to teach this age still.  Well, my mom doesn't like teaching Sunday school (she has done it in the past), so she said that if I was the teacher and did all the lesson planning, she would be the assistant.  We also have a college student helping, and sometimes my sister helps.
The most children we could have at once is 11.  But, usually they aren't all there.  Two and three year olds don't have a very long attention spand and it is hard to get them to do much.  But, they are really cute and we get some good laughs out of them.

Since Thanksgiving is this week, I wanted to bring them a little treat to take home.  I am going to try to focus the lesson on being thankful this week, but we are also going to do a regular lesson because it doesn't take them long to do anything.
Here is some yummy chex mix that is great for snacks, little gifts, etc.



 Cut open a paper grocery bag.  Immediately after the cereal comes out of the oven, pour onto the paper and.  Let it cool.


 Since I am making this for my Sunday school kids to take home, I didn't want to add any nuts in case someone in the family had nut allergies.  So, I mixed in some pretzels and m&m's.





I found these bags with pilgrims on them at Micheal's.  I thought they would we nice to send a little Thanksgiving treat home in.


Sweet and Salty Chex Mix

1 cup butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 box Rice Chex Cereal
Nuts (2 cups)
salt

Heat oven to 250 degrees.
Melt butter on low.  Add sugar to melted butter and stir until blended.  The key is to make sure the sugar is dissolved and that the sauce thickens (but too thick, just so the butter and sugar are well mixed together) and starts to becomes caramel-like.
Place the cereal in a large roasting pan.  Pour sauce over cereal and stir.
You can mix in nuts with the cereal to toast.  But, we just always add them in at the end.
Place the pan in the oven and toast for 1 hour.  Stir every 15 minuets.  Put on a brown paper bag and salt.

Add in whatever mix-ins you want.  We usually add in peanuts and m&m's. 

No comments :

Post a Comment