Saturday, June 7, 2014

Grandma's Chicken Pasta Salad


I love chicken pasta salad and here is a really yummy recipe.  This isn't your typical recipe with a mayo based dressing.  This is a recipe that my grandma has served at various event.  I think it is delicious.  It probably isn't kid food though.


With summer time here, chicken pasta salad is a great dish.  No oven, it can be made ahead of time, and it is served cold.  Who couldn't pass up chicken pasta salad?  Not me.



There are some adjustments I did to the recipe, well not really adjustments, but things I did my way... I guess you could say.  First, the recipe said not to refrigerate the pasta.  But, I refrigerated the pasta and the chicken mix separately and then mixed them together the next day before serving.  The recipe called for 1 whole chicken breast - cooked.  I just used some of the cooked shredded rotisserie chicken that we always have in our freezer.  One chicken breast didn't seem like enough to me.  I didn't measure it, so just add as much as you like.  And, for the frozen snow peas.  I just used Trader Joe's sugar snap peas, fresh.


So, make this today!  It is so good!!

Grandma's Chicken Pasta Salad

Dressing:
1/4 cup walnut oil
1/4 cup salad oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. salt
black pepper

Chicken Mix:
cooked, shredded chicken
5 - 6 nectarines, sliced
4 red plums, sliced
10 oz. frozen snow peas (pea pods)
6 green onions, sliced
1/2 - 1 cup walnuts, chopped

  1. Mix dressing.  Set aside.
  2. Cook pasta (spaghetti).  I did about 12 oz. or about 3/4 of a 16 oz. package.
  3. Mix the cooked pasta with 1/4 cup dressing.
  4. Combine remaining dressing with chicken mix.
  5. Refrigerate.
  6. Mix the chicken mix in with the pasta when ready to serve. 
Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment