Thursday, June 12, 2014

Honey-Whole Wheat Bread


This is one of my two favorite honey whole wheat breads.  Homemade sandwich bread is way yummier than store-bought.  And, it really isn't that hard to make.  I find it relatively exciting to watch my bread rise.

I make the dough for this bread in this big bowl.

I like to make a loaf and then slice it up and freeze it.  That way I can pull a slice or two out whenever I need them for sandwiches, toast, or whatever else I might use bread for.
 









 Honey-Whole Wheat Bread


2 packages regular active or fast-acting dry yeast (4 1/2 t.)
1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 t. salt
1 3/4 cups warm water (105-115 degrees)
5 - 5 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
Addition butter, softened

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.  Add honey, 1/4 cup butter, salt, 1 3/4 cups warm water, and 4 cups of the whole wheat flour.  Mix in enough of the remaining 1 - 1 1/4 cups flour to make dough easy to handle.

On lightly floured surface, knead dough about 10 minutes or until smooth and springy.  Grease large bowl with butter.  Place dough in bowl, turning to grease all sides.  Cover.  Let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.  Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.

Grease, or line with parchment paper, loaf pans.  This recipe can be made into 2 loaves, but I like making 1 big one.  I just use about 3/4 of the dough and discard the rest.  Also, I really like the way bread turns out when the pan is lined with parchment paper.  Form the dough into a loaf or into 2 loaves.  Place in the loaf pans.  Brush with butter and sprinkle with whole wheat flour or oats if desired.  You can cover it or leave it uncovered and let the loaf rise in a warm place about 1 hour until dough has doubled in size.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hallow when tapped.  Cool on cooling racks, remove from pans, and let cool completely before slicing into.

*I have done part wheat and part white flour.  Just make a total of 5 - 5 1/4 cups flour.  But, you may need more flour when you are kneading.

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment