Friday, September 20, 2013

Chocolate Oatmeal Scotchies


Yesterday, my Mom picked what she thinks will be the last of the flowers from our yard... sad.  I have come to love having flowers around our house.  They just freshen and lighten up the house... especially in the winter.
  


So, I just had to take some pictures of them to blog about.  I couldn't decide which were the best pictures... so why not post them all, or the few best ones?


Luckily, pumpkins are starting to be ready to be picked!  My Mom's favorite things from the garden are the flowers and pumpkins.  Yesterday, she also picked the first couple pumpkins.  They are little ones, but fun.


Yesterday, my Mom also picked some more tomatoes (I think we are going to need to can more... or give them away).  She also picked another cantaloupe.


Today, my Mom said that she was thinking about making these chocolate bars.  I said, oh those chocolate oatmeal scotchies.  My Mom said yes, and asked if I wanted some.  I said yeah, I have been kind of hungry for them... or at least I have been thinking about them lately... so that must mean I am hungry for them.  But, I wanted to make them my way (with honey instead of corn syrup and with the peanut butter I like).  So, that's what we did.


These bars are SOOOO DELIGHTFUL!  They have chocolate and peanut butter... and who couldn't go for that?  It was a cloudy, windy, chillier, more fall like day.  And, these bars were very comforting for a day like this... and for when you aren't feeling the best and aren't in the best mood.

Chocolate Oatmeal Scotchies

 2/3 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. corn syrup or honey (I do honey)
1/4 c. + 2/3 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
4 c. oats (I do part quick and part old-fashion)
1 pkg. milk chocolate chips
1/2 pkg. butterscotch chips
1 c. salted peanuts (sometimes I do unsalted)

Variation:  Sometimes I will do all milk chocolate chips in the frosting and/or chunky peanut butter in the frosting and omit the peanuts.

Melt butter in a saucepan.  Stir in brown sugar and corn syrup or honey until sugar is dissolved.  Stir in 1/4 cup peanut butter and vanilla.  Add oats and mix well.  We measure the oats out into a large mixing bowl and then add the butter mixture to the oats.

Press into a greased (or lined with parchment paper) 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15.  We always bake them for only 12 minuets.  They are better if they are not over baked... so don't over bake them.

Meanwhile, melt the chips and remaining 2/3 cup peanut butter.  Stir in peanuts.  Spread over crust.  Refrigerate until cool.


                                                                                                                                                             Usually my Mom and I can't wait to dig in, so they end up being a little
soft still.  But, maybe they are better
that way.

ENJOY!!
                                                                                            
 
                                                                                                     

No comments :

Post a Comment