Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fresh Picks of the Day - September 10, 2013 and Canning Salsa

Today, my Mom and I picked some corn to roast (grill) to see if it tasted any better that way.  But, it was still nasty.  The corn that was planted later, that was a different kind than what we usually plant, was just not normal.  And, the corn we usually corn was just too over grown, so it had no flavor and was starchy.  So, we are done with the corn.  A lot went to waste.  But, oh well.


We picked a bunch more tomatoes.  In our row of carrots, my Mom thought she saw a weed.  So, I pulled it our, and it looked almost like a carrot.  Then, I saw another one, so I pulled it, and it looked more like a weed (and they were weeds).  I ended up pulling out an actual carrot too, and it was a beautiful carrot.  So, one carrot for the day.

I did get to canning salsa.  I did a few jars at first, but only 2 canned.  I hadn't read any directions on how to do it, I was just basing it off of my experience canning jam.  So, I decide to read up on the correct way to can salsa.  I canned 15 jars of salsa.  But, I want to can more, so that we have a year's supply of salsa.  Here's how to can salsa.



Sterilize the jars and lids.  I like to do in right in the canning pot for the jars.  But, I sterilize the lids in a smaller saucepan... it is easier.


If you made the salsa earlier, heat it up so it is hot.  But, if you just made it, it should be hot.  You want the salsa hot when you can it.


Once the salsa is hot, remove the jars for the water bath and place them on a towel.  My Mom makes these dish drying mats, and they work great for placing the hot, wet jars on.


Fill your jars, using a wide-mouth funnel, until they are 1/4 inch from the top.


Wipe off the rims with a damp cloth to remove any drips.  This is IMPORTANT.


Remove the lids from the water one at a time.  Quickly dry the lid off and place it on top of the filled jar.


Screw on the ring (hold the lid in place with one finger in the center).


Place the capped jars in the pot of boiling water (have 2 inches of water covering the jars).


Cover the pot, put on medium high heat.


When the water returns to a boil, start your timer.

Process your salsa for 15 minuets.


Then, turn off the heat, remove the lid of the pot, and let everything sit for 5 more minuets.


Remove the jars from the water and place them on a towel.  Leave a couple inches between the jars so they can cool.  On this cooling rack, mine didn't get a couple inches apart... but maybe make sure they do.

Don't touch the jars until they have cooled and you have checked the seals.
As they seal, you will hear them pop!  Exciting!  Between 12-24 hours, after you canned them, you can check the seals.  Press the center of the lid to make sure it doesn't go down at all.  If it doesn't, remove the ring and gently try to lift the lid off.  If the center doesn't move and you can't lift the lid, then they are sealed (screw the ring back on).
If they don't seal, you can try canning them again or put them in the fridge to use.



No comments :

Post a Comment