Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chocolate Sheet Cake

Today, my Grandma and Grandpa came down to our house.  The main reason they came was to bring me some fabric from my mom's cousin Chris.  I have been making rag quilts (coming soon), and she thought she had some fabric that would work.  Chris told my mom in an e-mail that the box of fabric she was sending down with my grandparents was really heavy.  EXCITING!!!  It was a huge tube of fabric.  The only thing is, I need flannel that is long.  Most of the fabric was either in a square (too small), or home-spun fabric.  The fabric that would work, wouldn't look good in our house.  But, it would be cute in Chris' house.  So, I might make her a rag quilt, with her fabric!

Since my Grandma and Grandpa were here, I just had to make something yummy.  I love baking, but I love baking for other people even more.  I wish that I could make something, and that there would be enough people to eat all, so that I could just make something new the next day.  Actually for supper tonight, it was my family and 3 other kids, we had lasagna and it got ALL eaten!  No Leftovers.  That was amazing.  I don't think it has ever really happened - that there are no leftovers.  But, anyway, I made this this Chocolate Sheet Cake.  We had dessert, and then I sent the rest home with my Grandma.  I know she will find good use for it.  My Grandma likes having desserts on hand, in the freezer, that she can pull out and serve to guests.


This Chocolate Sheet Cake is super super yummy.  It is moist, sweet, and chocolatey.  And, who wouldn't want that combination?  It will definitely satisfy a chocolate craving.




Chocolate Sheet Cake:
Cake:  2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking soda
1 cup butter (I did 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 applesauce)
4 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder

Frosting:  1 3/4 sticks butter
4 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
6 tablespoons milk
1 t. vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt.
  3. In another bowl, mix the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and baking soda with a fork.
  4. In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the cocoa.  Whisk together to combine.
  5. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
  6. When the butter is melted, pour the boiling water in the pan.  Mix together, and turn off the heat.
  7. Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture.
  8. Stir together for a moment to cool the chocolate, then mix in the egg mixture.
  9. Mix until smooth.
  10. Pour into a jelly roll pan.  I line mine with parchment paper.
  11. Bake for 20 minutes.  Check with toothpick... toothpick should be clean. 
  12. While the cake is baking, make the frosting.
  13. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
  14. Add the cocoa powder and stir until smooth.
  15. Add the milk and vanilla.
  16. Stir in the powdered sugar.
  17. Right after the cake comes out of the oven, pour the warm frosting over the top.
*Note:  When I did 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup applesauce, I melted just the butter and cocoa together.  Then when I added the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture, I added the applesauce.

~ENJOY!



No comments :

Post a Comment