Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Rag Quilts

This summer, I have had a strange desire to make a quilt.  I made my first quilt a couple of summers ago. My mom's cousin, Chris,who is an excellent quilter, helped me. 
A couple of weeks ago, I was at a baby shower and my mom's other cousin, Ann, made the baby a rag quilt.  It was super cute!  I wanted to make one!  She said she would sent us the link to were she got the directions.  But, before she did, I went on Pinterest and searched "rag quilts".  I found a place with the directions and decided I would follow those once I got some fabric.  Then, when Ann sent us the link to the directions she used, it was to the same place I found.  Click here for the link.

This has been a perfect project for me.  Since, I have had a sprained ankle, and can't do much, and since I have been wanting to make a quilt.  I bet that if I were to start an actual quilt, I would just get overwhelmed and not finish it. But, these rag quilts are super easy to make.  You can make a ton of mistakes and no one will know.


What You Need:
7 different, yet coordinating flannel fabrics @ a 1/2 yard each
(7 half yards of fabric)

2 yards of solid flannel fabric for batting (the middle of the quilt)

about a 1/2 yard of matching fabric for the binding

matching thread

sewing machine

scissors

*Note at bottom.

Here's How To Make Them:

A few pointers for before you begin:  Sometimes the fabrics aren't quite the same length.  So, I just lined up the pieces at one end... when I put the 3 layers together, and when I put the strips together.  Then before I bind my quilt, I could just trim one end (if this doesn't make sense to you, just keep reading and I will have a picture).  Also, cut the hanging threads as you go.

Wash and dry the fabric.


Cut 2 strips of each fabric @ 6 in. wide (one strip will be the front and one the back)

Cut 2 strips of each fabric @ 3 in. wide (one strip will be the front and one the back)

Cut 7 strips of solid flannel @ 6 in. wide (this will go in between the other fabrics measuring 6 in. wide)

Cut 7 strips of solid flannel @ 3 in. wide (this will go in between the other fabrics measuring 3 in. wide)

Iron the strips.

Make a fabric sandwich (outside, middle solid, outside).  The outsides should be two of the same fabrics at the same width.  But, I guess you wouldn't have to do the same fabrics.  Line up one end, so they are even.  Once end probably won't be even (like the one shown here), but just leave it for now.


Sew a seam down the middle of each sandwich to hold the 3 pieces together.  I got my 3 layers of the sandwiches nicely lined together and then used pins to help hold it together while I sewed the seam down the middle.  If this would help you (keep the pieces straight together), do it.


Once you have a seam down the middle of each sandwich, lay out your quilt.  You can do it how ever you please.  A certain size strip doesn't have to be next to a certain size strip.  Line up the pieces so that they are lined up straight at one end.  The other end will probably not be even, but just leave it for now.


Sew the strips together.  Since both sides are "right sides", pick one to be the "right side".  Make sure you leave enough room to snip.  Once side of your quilt will be smooth and the other side will be shaggy.



I sewed my quilt together in pieces.  I would sew 3 or 4 strips together in piece, and then do another piece, and then sew all the pieces together.  Do it whichever way is easiest for you, in pieces or just one strip after the next.


Your quilt is sewn together!


Since one side is probably uneven, cut it straight across.  Probably cut straight across from the shortest strip.  I folded my in half and then cut straight across.



Now, snip.  Try not to go pass the seam.  But, if you do, no big deal.  Just stitch it up and no one will know... it is a rag a quilt!


Now for the binding.  I am not sure if this is the professional way to do it, but this is how I did my binding.  If you have a better way, do it.  Or, if you want to, you can look up how to do it.  But I am going to do my best at explaining how I did it.

Cut a 3 in. wide strip of fabric, actually you will need several.


Iron it.  Fold it in half length wise, and iron it again to crease it.


Now, on your quilt, line up the open edge (still folded in half), and the edge of the quilt.  Sew.  I sewed as close to the edge as I could get, but you could so farther in.  You don't want it sewn in too far though.


Now to do corners:  Flip the binding piece over.


At the corner, flip it the direction of the next side.  It will kind of look like a triangle at the corner.


 Continue sewing along the edge.


When my strip of binding came to an end, I just added another strip, by overlapping them a little.  And continued.


When I came to the fringes, I just laid flat... some on one side and some on the other.  Then I just kept on sewing right on over them.


Once you have gone all the way around with the binding, flip the quilt over and flip the binding around the edge of the quilt, and sew.


When you come to a corner, sew to the end of the edge you were working on and then flip over the binding of the next side, and sew.


When you have finished the binding. you are pretty much done!  There will probably be a bunch of threads and clippings on it.  So, wash it.  The lady at the fabric store suggested to my mom that we wash it at the laundry mat.  That way the threads and clippings don't get all over our washer and dryer.


*This size is a baby size quilt.  But, it is actually pretty big.  I did add on a couple of strips, just to make mine bigger.  You can change the size by making different width size of the strips or by doing a different number of strips.

I will be doing a post with pictures of a bunch of the quilts I have made.
I hope you decide to adventure out and make one!  They are super fun and easy to make!

No comments :

Post a Comment