Friday, August 30, 2013

My Stress Fracture



Well, yesterday, I went to back to the doctor because my ankle hasn't seemed to be getting any better.  They took another x-ray, to make sure I didn't have a stress fracture.  Stress fractures don't usually show up on x-rays until they have started to heal.  As they heal, they form a cast, and that is what you see on the x-ray.  Anyways, the doctor didn't see any stress fractures, when he looked at both the x-rays that they have taken individually.  But, today, my Mom got a phone call from the doctor.  The doctor was able to compare the two x-rays taken (one from the first time I went there and they concluded it was a sprain, and the other one from yesterday).  When he compared them, he was able to see that I do have a stress fracture.  Thankfully, it has started to heal... but obviously, barely any, because he couldn't see it with just looking at the one x-ray.

So, now I am back, all wrapped up, in a boot, and on crutches... lovely.  I could go to the doctor and get a hard cast, but I think I am just going to wrap it in an ACE Bandage, wear the boot, and keep it immobile.  That way it will be easier for showering.  I pretty much can't do any physical activity, and I am going CRAZY already.  Stress fractures are actually pretty stressful.  Actually, this entire ankle problem that I have had to dealt with for the last month and a half has been pretty stressful.  I have been told that it is an autoimmune disease, lyme disease, a joint ankle infection, a sprain, a stress reaction, and now a stress fracture.  The funny thing is, that, they all make sense that I could have it.

I don't really know how long it will take for me to recover.  For a typical stress fracture, the recovery time is 4-6 weeks.  But, for me, it may be longer or shorter.  I don't know if it has been a stress fracture all along (since the middle of July), or what.  So, when I go back to the doctor on September 24 to get my orthotics, we will see how it is then.


For some reason lately, I have been on a popcorn kick.  I don't know why.  I used to eat popcorn a lot, but then I got sick of it.  So, I didn't have any for a while.

We make it on the stove top in this big pot.


 It is Friday night, so why not have some popcorn and watch a movie (if I can keep the patience... probably not)?


Lets go eat some popcorn!

No comments :

Post a Comment