Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cross Country Camping Trip

This last Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, I have been at cross country camp.  Usually camp is in the middle of July, but with our coach's, Vies, new summer running program, he changed it to now, during the season.  You had to qualify to go camping.  Which, I didn't do (I sprained my ankle).  But only one girl, Tenley, qualified to go, and the top 6 boys.  Since it would just be akward for one girl to go, I went a long to company her, and to help my coach's wife, Diane, if she needed any help.

We left last Sunday at about 12:30, and arrived back home Tuesday night around 7:15.  Our coach has a camper in Lanesboro, so we just set up some tents right on his camp sight.  His camp sight is right on the river, so you can sit around the camp fire and look out at the river.  We did lots of fun activities.  Here's what we did:

The Workouts

On Sunday, before we left, I did an elliptical  workout.  I went on it for 20 min. and that machine does get you breathing and sweating (something I haven't done for awhile).  The elliptical is much different from running, and I love running WAY more.

Before we got to Lanesboro, we stopped in Preston and the runners did a running workout.  They did an out and back on the bike path.  They ran for 20 min. out, and then tried to get back to the starting point before the next 20 min.  I biked along Tenley, to keep her company.  Right after the run, we all jumped on our bikes and headed to Lanesboro, about an 11 mile bike ride.

On Monday morning, we got up at 7:00, ate a light breakfast, and then headed to Forestville State Park, for a trail run.  The runners ran a great trail workout there.  They ran about 7 miles.  During that 7 miles, they run up to Pioneer Cemetery, and in the woods, going up and down rolling hills.  I had stretched with them, and them ran about a 100 meters, as for my workout.  Then, my job was to get to certain points on the trail, and to direct the runners which way to go.  You can get lost on these trails, but luckily no one did.  I biked form point to point.  After they finished, we walked the beginning of the trail that they would be running the next day.  That was supposed to be a cool down, and to familiarize them with the trail.  After that, we went back to camp for lunch.

After lunch, I went on about a 10 mile bike ride with my coach.  First we bike up to this trout hatchery, and he showed me around. It was actually pretty interesting.  Then, we finished our bike ride of with going up hill for 2 mile.  We thought we were going into the wind going up hill, but then when we turned around to go down hill, we were going into the wind even more.

Later Monday afternoon, the runners ran to Whalan, which is about 4 miles.  In Whalan, there is The Aroma Pie Shoppe, so Vies treated everyone to pie and ice cream.  I didn't want any though, but the place was cute to go in.  After stopping for pie, we all biked back to camp, which was a little over 4 miles.  When we got back to camp, we got ready (showered), and soon headed into town to supper.



On Tuesday, once again, we got up at 7:00, ate a light breakfast, and headed out to Forestville State Park, for another trail run.  This was about a 6 mile run, with some hills.  I again stretched with the group, and then ran for 7:44!  That is the longest I have ran in FOREVER!  My ankle felt pretty good.  It was a little tight and stiff, but it got looser as I went (also as the day went on).  Then again, I got to a point on the trail, to direct the runners which way to go.  When we were done, we headed back to camp for brunch.





Later Tuesday afternoon, the runners did an easy run.  They ran for 24 minuets right around in Lanesboro.  I biked with Tenley as she ran.  After the afternoon run, we backed up camp, got some ice cream, and were on our way back home.

The Fun

I guess, you kind of make your own fun at cross country camp.  Usually there are more that just two girls, but Tenley and I managed to have some fun.  Each day, we had a few hours of down time.  A lot of the time, you are so exhausted, you just want to sit around and do nothing.

On Monday, during some of our free time, I went on a bike ride with Vies.  That is when he showed me the trout hatchery.  Later, he ended up showing the entire group it too.  On Tuesday, the boys went tubing and Tenley and I walked around town, looking in the shops.  Tenley and I both had some activites (drawing, books, bracelet making, ect.) along to do.  The boys ended up played a bit of horse shoes.


Both nights we had a camp fire.  We could sit around the fire, that was right off the river.  Nothing too exciting happened there... no singing, stories, or anything, but I guess it's not that kind of camp.  The second night, the boys roasted some s'mores.  They weren't real s'mores though... so why bother having one?  It was a marshmallow with those fudge cookies.  If I am going to eat a s'more, I want it be an old-fashion, traditional s'more... graham crackers with a piece of chocolate and marshmallow in the middle!




The Food

The food at cc camp is not to the quality that I am used to.  The first night at camp, we usually have hotdogs.  My coach knows I like eating healthier, so a couple of days before camp, he asked me if I would eat a hotdog.  I said if it was a really good, high quality, all-beef hotdog, that was cooked over a campfire, I probably would.  Since the food isn't always what I really want to eat, I decided I wanted to bring some of my own, even if it needed to be refrigerated.  I asked Vies if I could bring some refrigerated food, and asked like what.  Being on the spot, a said maybe some yogurt or something.  He said that there isn't much room in the fridge, so it can't take up much room.  So, I came up with a plan.  I was going to fit all my refrigerated food in a plastic container, and then go up to Diane and politely asked if could put this in the fridge.  She would just have to say yes... and she did (the fridge wasn't that full)!  In the container it fit in some yogurt, granola, 3 slices of homemade bread, some sandwich meat (which I put in a freezer bag and froze, so that it would defrost during traveling and not spoil), a some good peanut butter.  Also along with me I had some other food that didn't need to be refrigerated, like nuts and granola bars.

So, for Sunday supper, we had hotdogs over a campfire.  Diane said that since we were a smaller group than usual, she was able to spend more on hotdogs and get better ones (they usually are cheaper one).  I think that Vies told her to get better ones though, because she even made a point to say what kind they were (Grandma Alice's, all-beef, skin on hotdogs).  I approved of those.  Along with the hotdogs, Diane made her really good beans, and she served carrots, bars, and cookies (actually I made the cookies.  they were my oatmeal chocolate chip ones and they were a hit.  Diane even asked for the recipe!).  It was funny, before the real food was served, she put out carrots, and everyone was so famished that they devoured them.  And for an "appetizer" she let every one have one cookie, no one was hesitant to having one.  At camp... you die for food.  After supper, we walked into town.  We all got ice cream.  I got maple nut in a dish... yummy.

For a light breakfast, before the morning run each day, Diane served bagels with peanut butter and jelly, fruit, and juice.  On the first morning, Diane let me know that the juice had no added sugar to it.  That mush mean I should have some.  I think she got that kind of juice because of me.  Tenley isn't a fan of the kind of food they serve either, but she thinks that since I was along, the food was better.

For Monday lunch, Diane served cold meat sandwiches, chips, and a few carrots.  The meat she buys is really cheap, icky meat.  So, that is why I brought my own.  When Diane was telling every one what there was for lunch, she said this is turkey, or that is what the package says, and this is ham.

For supper Monday night, went go into town to a restaurant.  The girls always go to Peddle Pushers, so that is where Tenley and I went.  I really wanted a hamburger, but when I say the menu, I decided to be adventurous, and try something new.  I got grilled tilapia tacos.  They were topped with guacamole, lettuce, black bean and corn salsa, and chipotle mayo.  I asked for the chipotle mayo on the side because I didn't want a lot of it.  What was on the side wasn't even very much though, but having just a little was really spicy for me. I wouldn't say they were the best fish tacos (the ones by Lake Calhoun were better), but they were pretty good.  As a side, I had a bowl of fresh melon.


The restaurant was the same one we always go to, and the menu was pretty much the same (maybe a few more options, and healthier ones), but it had been remodeled.  It was really cute.

Then on Tuesday, Diane made a brunch.  They usually get rolls from a bakery in Lanesboro, but they were closed, so we made do with the leftover there were.  Diane made her usual egg bake, heated up the boys leftover pizza, served bread, peanut butter and jelly, fruit, and cookies.

Before we hit the road to go home, we stopped in Lanesboro to get ice cream.  I ended up only getting vanilla in a waffle cone.  I couldn't decide which kind to get (I am always the last to decide), so I ended getting vanilla, which is always good.


Cross country camp is fun and tiring.  It is good to get home... and to sleep in my own bed, where the ground isn't hard and bumpy!

No comments :

Post a Comment