Saturday, August 3, 2013

Christie's Potato Salad

Potato Salad is a wonderful summer side dish.  This summer I wanted to learn to make it, and find a great recipe. You would think it is hard to make, but it is actually really easy to make.  The hardest part is just cooking the potatoes.

What You Need:  Potatoes, red potatoes are the best
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
1 T. butter
1 T. flour
1 t. salt
2 T. wet mustard
1 cup mayo
Fresh ground pepper
1 t. celery seeds
Onions
Celery
Boiled eggs, opional

To Make the Potatoes:

Wash the Potatoes.  I don't peel mine, but if you want them peeled, peel them.  Red potatoes are the best, but if we don't have those, I just use whatever we have.


To cook the potatoes, cover about 3 pounds potatoes in a large pot with salted cold water.  Bring the water to a boil over high heat.  Cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a skewer, about 40 minutes.
I never know how many potatoes I cook and then use.  I just cook a bunch of potatoes.


Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them from the water.  Let them cool.  When they are cool enough to handle, cut them into about half-inch pieces.  Let them cool more.  It works to put them in the fridge.

To make the dressing:  You can do this while the potatoes are cooking.

Mix and cook the the 3 beaten eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup vinegar, 1 T. butter, 1 T. flour, 1 t. salt in a sauce pan until it is thick.  It doesn't take very long.


Once it is thick, let it cool.  I let it cool a little on the stove and then I put it in another bowl and put it in the fridge to cool completely.


Once the dressing has cooled, mix it with 1 cup mayo, 2 T. wet mustard, fresh ground pepper, and 1 t. celery seeds.


Chop up some onion and celery.  Add however much you want of those.


Mix together the potatoes, dressing, celery, and onions... and if you want, boiled eggs.
I gradually mix together the potatoes and dressing.  I don't want to be too dry, or just dressing.  


Chill before you serve it.


And enjoy this delicious summer side dish!
I find it better with age.

*I don't use any specific vinegar, but once I used organic apple cider vinegar, and it made the whole salad taste very vinegary.

No comments :

Post a Comment